P0016 Code

Marvin24

Jan 30, 2022
Good morning all, just a little info for all you 3.0L I6 Diesel Engine folks to think about. I have a 2020 GMC LTZ Sierra with the 3.0L I6 diesel engine, 108000 miles, when I purchased the truck it has 82000. The check engine lite came on the other day and I checked for codes, P0016, when your powertrain control module detects that your crankshaft and camshaft are out of time.
Cleared the code, and it came back after 7 miles, long story short, took it in the GM dealership and three days later they tell me that it will cost $7800.00 to repair the truck, GM will not help pay for the repair, no recalls, also no parts available, nationwide back order and its the 4th truck they have had in this year for this problem.
Now I like my truck, but if someone had told me that around 100000 miles I would have to spend almost 8 gran on it to replace timing chain and sprockets and I not sure what else I might have reconsidered, also I have asked them to change the oil pump belt while they have it apart, no use having to take it apart again in 42000 to replace that.
Not sure how many trucks out there have this issue or going to have this issue, but its a costly repair that I wasn't prepared for.
PS: the labor for this repair is 40 hours!

Any drive ability issues? Or just that pesky cel?

No drive ability issues, it did have a longer start one time, but for the most part it was fine.

Back