Roadmaster active suspension vs air bags

A1fromday1

Dec 30, 2021
Anyone have either of these that would like to share their opinion? I'm leaning toward the RAS mainly as I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with the air bags without a compressor and once you add that the cost and install complexity gets kinda high. RAS looks very simple.
The reason for adding these is I'm coming off a 2013 Sierra 2500 and don't really want the rear sagging too much when pulling camper. Camper is about 25ft and around 7K. I have a weight distribution hitch that probably wasn't really needed with the 3/4 ton. Haven't tried pulling it yet with this truck but when I hooked it up to back it into the garage farther it really squatted but that was without the weight bars.
The other thing is I heard the RAS jacks up the rear a bit and with the rake from the factory already, I'd probably have to get a level kit for the front. Was looking at the Rancho quick lift strut assembly for that.

I've pulled our 25ft 6500# trailer with a WD hitch and it's level. Pulls it very well and the engine braking works. This was on a short run in Oct though. This summer should be the real test.

From what I've heard, it's better to have a WDH than bags. Sends more weight to the front for better steering.

I’ve run bags on a couple trucks, I like the adjustability of them as I hate rake loaded or empty I want my shit riding level. My last truck came with bags and I added the in cab pump and controls it’s pretty straightforward and being able to check pressure and adjust from in the cab is awesome!

Attachments

• 367E73B7-E650-416C-BAB8-20D56447F913.png
    367E73B7-E650-416C-BAB8-20D56447F913.png
    273.9 KB · Views: 1
Airbags would be good for leveling with just a load in the bed however doesn't distribute the weight of a trailer when towing.

Although this video is sponsored by a WDH company, it does show the difference between the two.

Airbags would be good for leveling with just a load in the bed however doesn't distribute the weight of a trailer when towing.

Although this video is sponsored by a WDH company, it does show the difference between the two.

Good video for people unfamiliar with these hitches on a heavy trailer they definitely make a big difference! I like air bags for a broader variety of uses from just having some weight in the box to pulling trailers especially after I’ve installed a leveling kit on a truck, the only thing worse than rake is negative rake! But yes any heavy trailer should have a load levelling hitch. The RAS system I’m completely ignorant about 🤷🏻‍♂️

I run both air bags and weight Distribution Hitch while toeing tt. Air bags make it level and more firm

Ordered the Roadmaster kit yesterday. During research, I could not really find any people saying anything negative about it although maybe I just didn't find them. Air bags seem like most say they help hold the weight up but don't really help with sway that the roadmaster is supposed to do and would be more expensive with a compressor which seems like something you'd need to make them not annoying to use. Roadmaster is set and forget. Airbags were the original plan so we'll see how it goes. Between the WDH and these hopefully the trailer will be an easy tow.

Back