"Shift to Park" Message

elarsen56

Jun 13, 2021
I bought a new 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 Diesel yesterday and after only having it for not even 5 hours, I went to park in my driveway and had a message "Shift to Park" after shutting it off. I had it in park so I thought maybe it was just a fluke so I turned it back on drove around the block. Came back shut it off and the same message popped up again. It does not turn the dash off so I was concerned that it would drain the battery. I took it back to the dealership and left it there for the weekend and hopefully on Monday they can tell me what happened. They informed me that they never had this issue before... I am wondering if anyone else out there has had this issue?

Attachments

• Shift to Park.png
    Shift to Park.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 2
The only time I get that message is when I shut the engine off in a gear or neutral and open the door.

I get out and close the door and the damn horn will blow twice and lock all the doors minus the drivers.

There is a micro switch behind the lower valance, to the right of the steering column, that gets manually tripped when column shifter is put into Park. Wonder if it needs adjusted or has come loose?

Also.... Welcome.
The only time I get that message is when I shut the engine off in a gear or neutral and open the door.

I get out and close the door and the damn horn will blow twice and lock all the doors minus the drivers.

There is a micro switch behind the lower valance, to the right of the steering column, that gets manually tripped when column shifter is put into Park. Wonder if it needs adjusted or has come loose?
Well as long as it’s not a popular problem I’m good haha and well hopefully an easy fix! I shall see what they tell me when I pick it up.

Welcome!

Yea, let us know what the dealer says as well. I've never personally seen that issue myself. I'm sure it's something simple the dealer will take care of for you.

Welcome!

Yea, let us know what the dealer says as well. I've never personally seen that issue myself. I'm sure it's something simple the dealer will take care of for you.
Thank you!

Yeah I will let you guys know once I find out. I’m just bummed I barely got to drive it haha.

Thank you!

Yeah I will let you guys know once I find out. I’m just bummed I barely got to drive it haha.
For sure! I had a new '11 Duramax that had about 300 miles on it on the drive home I had an emissions light and had to turn around and go back to the dealer the next morning.. It happens... never an issue after that. :cool:

Get use to it my son in law and I have 2020's GMC 1500 SLT 3.0L diesel, and every other day there Is a code about something, I get service steering column displayed and then disappeared, son in law just got number 2 heat plug code, couple of weeks ago I had P2C7A-00 NOxCatalystEfficiencyBelowThresholdBank1Catalyst2 stayed on for a week then disappeared, if you purchase a good code scanner, you will find there are codes that don't turn the check engine light on. but they are there. GM has forgotten how to make a truck!

Get use to it my son in law and I have 2020's GMC 1500 SLT 3.0L diesel, and every other day there Is a code about something, I get service steering column displayed and then disappeared, son in law just got number 2 heat plug code, couple of weeks ago I had P2C7A-00 NOxCatalystEfficiencyBelowThresholdBank1Catalyst2 stayed on for a week then disappeared, if you purchase a good code scanner, you will find there are codes that don't turn the check engine light on. but they are there. GM has forgotten how to make a truck!

Ouch, that's some bad luck for sure.

Bad luck for sure. Mine's been mint, no codes or any issues except for once the tranny would not work but a restart fixed that.
I read your issue with your 4x4 and that’s crazy. Isn’t that what 4WD is for? Not to disengage when the conditions are hilly or slippery (ie: when you need it the most)…!? Damn torque management likely!

I’m thinking Marvin may have many more miles on his trucks and that’s possibly why they are starting to have issues…? Hopefully it’s not a bad Omen for many future problems of the LM2 fleet.

I read your issue with your 4x4 and that’s crazy. Isn’t that what 4WD is for? Not to disengage when the conditions are hilly or slippery (ie: when you need it the most)…!? Damn torque management likely!

I’m thinking Marvin may have many more miles on his trucks and that’s possibly why they are starting to have issues…? Hopefully it’s not a bad Omen for many future problems of the LM2 fleet.
92000 and counting son in law has 16000 on his the dealer is replacing the Number 2 heat plug and stated that it was a known Common problem I call BS on that I’ve never heard of it

92000 and counting son in law has 16000 on his the dealer is replacing the Number 2 heat plug and stated that it was a known Common problem I call BS on that I’ve never heard of it
UpDate; Son in law pickup his truck at the dealership, got in to leave, started the truck and the check engine light was still on, WTH is wrong with these dealers, they told him he could leave it until Tuesday, he brought I home, not sure about his next move!

...GM has forgotten how to make a truck!
It's not so much what GM has forgotten, it's what gm has to learn. That code you just listed, sounds alot like a emissions fault, not a over temp or low oil pressure fault.

Just think of the mileage this baby max could pull, if it wasn't for the epa emissions bull larky. A diesel is suppose to smoke, not being choked down like diesels have been mandated to run. I'm not talking rolling coal, that is just a waste of fuel.

Sure wished I only had a temp and oil pressure idiot light on the dashboard and not a emissions check engine light.

The transmission became unresponsive when I was trying to go up a snowy hill and I was shifting "vigourously" between D and R. I believe the transfer case was fine. The tranny was the one having fits.

It's not so much what GM has forgotten, it's what gm has to learn. That code you just listed, sounds alot like a emissions fault, not a over temp or low oil pressure fault.

Just think of the mileage this baby max could pull, if it wasn't for the epa emissions bull larky. A diesel is suppose to smoke, not being choked down like diesels have been mandated to run. I'm not talking rolling coal, that is just a waste of fuel.

Sure wished I only had a temp and oil pressure idiot light on the dashboard and not a emissions check engine light.
Agreed. Can't entirely blame GM for this but government mandating lower pollution levels and CAFE is driving this. Not a bad thing to be able to breathe clean air, it does add to the complexity of engine and powertrain management.

Yes, I completely forget about clean air to breathe. Living where I do, a person doesn't even think about that issue.

Back