Shift to park..,,

Gmc

Nov 6, 2022
Hi just got our 2021 GMC sierra Denali pick up. Absolutely love it got all the bells and whistles however I hooked on our small trailer and when I went to park the truck it said on the display shift to park before exiting vehicle. The lights stayed on on the dash and when I got out of the truck it beeped to tell me the truck was still running can’t seem to figure out how to turn it off. I finally unplugged the trailer from the truck and it then allowed me to turn the truck off. Anyone else experience this issue I have been reading posts about a lemon law and issues of this type that are unresolved

Did you shift the transmission into Park before shutting the engine off?

Or did the transmission not allow you to shift it into Park until you unplugged the trailer connection?

How did you exit the vehicle to unplug the trailer connection if you couldn't get the transmission into Park?

Something doesn't sound right - give us some more detailed information about the trailer and the process by which you resolved this.

Definitely doesn't sound normal. Does the PRNDL show P when you put it in Park? Have you tried using the parking brake? I've exited and turned off the truck with the trailer attached lots of times, no issues, with and without parking brake.

Yes, did all of that.. so, since posting, I downloaded the trailer into the truck computer and now that it recognizes it, it only happened once and then no more-very strange.

Back