STUPID is as stupid does

embraerjetpilot

Jun 10, 2023
It's been a rough week.

Please don't make fun, but I did something stupid. I was distracted.. I was angry about something going on in the house, and I was distracted.

I have a 2021 Silverado 1500 Diesel 6 cylinder 3.0 I think.

I was adding DEF and also a fuel treatment.

I inadvertently put about 8 ounces of fuel treatment in the def compartment.

I tried syphoning it out, but can not get any to return out. Any guesses what to do? I haven't started it and don't plan to. Thanks

So your home? Mechanically inclined? Drop the tank, drain, and flush with a garden hose.

I would be apt to put some dawn dish soap and slush it and a gallon of water around for awhile. Then flush with a garden hose till ran clear. Maybe set the black tank in the sun for a day or 2, to evaporate the non distilled water.

This is so much better than def in fuel. Soya got that going for you!

So your home? Mechanically inclined? Drop the tank, drain, and flush with a garden hose.

I would be apt to put some dawn dish soap and slush it and a gallon of water around for awhile. Then flush with a garden hose till ran clear. Maybe set the black tank in the sun for a day or 2, to evaporate the non distilled water.

This is so much better than def in fuel. Soya got that going for you!
Nope, not mechanically inclined at all.. lol...

Thankfully, I haven't started it..

I won't.... just sitting here thinking that I just put in 2.5 gallons of def... I am pretty sure I could put in another 2.5 gallons or close to it because it was really low and its a 5 gallon tank. Let's say I am wrong about the quantity and I put in 16 ounces... That's 16 ounces blended into 640 ounces.

Yes, I know....bad... won't do it... just a thought...

how fucking stupid.

I think I found the def tank but I'm not terribly sure. Looks like it has a cover on it. Should I try to find a mechanic to come and dump it? I can't believe I can't get a syphoon in there.

I have not dropped a def tank personally. So I don't know what the fill line looks like. I am surprised a small hose wouldn't be able to be inserted.

I am afraid siphoning won't work. The fuel treatment (petroleum) should be floating on top of the 68% water. If you siphon from the bottom the treatment would just stick to the side of the tank or module as the level decreased.

If you have a mechanic friend that would be cheaper than a tow to a dealer. Dealer would say to replace tank I would guess.

It will be easier to drop than a fuel tank due to size and amount of fluid weight.

Just a idea, don’t know it’s a good one or not. My guess is that the fuel additive is less dense than water (will float on top of water. Since DEF is mostly water, what about slowly overfilling the DEF tank so that the fuel treatment gets pushed out the fill hole? Any thoughts?

If it was my vehicle, I would just drop the tank. They are not that big or too difficult to remove I don’t think based on looking at it. That way you can get a good flush/clean and ensure it’s all good. Just my 0.02.

Back