Transmission issue

Dlafever

Jan 28, 2023
Purchased a used 2020 1500 3.0 diesel about 6 months ago. It has 32000 miles, hasn’t been used to tow or plow. Absolutely love this truck. I haven’t had any issues until a month ago, driving down the highway, cruise set at 60 - I lost all throttle control as if it had went into neutral, the gear indicator ( D ) started flashing. I started to pull off the road and the truck jumped back into 3rd gear and stayed there. It wouldn’t shift up or down. I was close enough to home I drove it there and parked it. Shut the truck off, turned it back on and noticed when putting it into gear it jumped really hard and made a frightening sound. I noticed you could not shift it manually so assumed it was still stuck in gear. Had it towed to a dealer, they claim there was nothing wrong with it. The check engine light said speed sensor faulted but nothing to be concerned with. I asked them to put 50 miles on it and luckily it acted up again. Fast forward a month and these repairs - TCM, both speed sensors, throttle body, temp sensor, transmission service, and they cannot figure it out. The dealership even called GM warranty and told them it’s an intermittent problem that we can definitely live with and advised we pick it up. Which absolutely did not fly, but I’m at a loss and they (GM and the dealer) have no answer on where to go next. I’m a little disappointed to say the least. I was expecting a GM diesel product to last many years under good care without any issues.

The issue has become more persistent, but does reset it self on occasion. It always comes back when the truck gets up to temp.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

When I had my Colorado, I did a trans fluid and filter change on it. I used Wolf's Head fluid that I bought from the dealer. When the trans fluid got up to temp, I started having all kinds of shifting issues. I ended up having the dealer do a fluid flush and that resolved all of my issues. I won't say that will solve your problem though.

One of our clients had a 2020 that had similar problems. It got so bad and so many trips to the dealer GM ended up buying the truck back with 70k on it. They never did figure out what the problem was. Replaced 3 major wiring harnesses and tore the transmission apart. Hoping he just got a lemon and my 21 doesn’t have any issues like that🤞🏻

And I hope they can figure out the problem on your truck. Saying it’s an intermittent problem and it’s ok is not a good answer.

Those are the worst issues to track and find.. obviously something is wrong. I'm assuming you have a case with corporate?

Those are the worst issues to track and find.. obviously something is wrong. I'm assuming you have a case with corporate?
Yes I have an open case with corporate. They have no ideas for a solution. They are refusing to buy it back or offer a replacement. They want to send out an engineer.

We have now replaced the transmission and another wiring harness. They are now cutting 50 wires between the main control module, transmission control module, and transmission and splicing in new wires….. am I crazy or does that sound totally obscure

Can you track the carfax history on it? Wondering if it was traded off before warranty expired, because of tranny issues.

Me personally, I wouldn't want a main harness splice. Maybe if I was splicing it, but not a tech that is trying to get it out the door. Hopefully the splice repair is easy to get to now and in the future. Maybe the splice repair is just a new connector and pins?

It’s actually still under bumper to bumper warranty. And still has 2 years and 50k miles on the power train. The new transmission just extended the tranny warranty to another 3year/80k.

The car fax didn’t show any issues. We drove it from 15k to 30k without any problems.

We don’t really have a choice as far as the repairs go. Because it’s still under BTB, GM is approving all the repairs.

It’s frustrating. And I’ve lost all confidence in this truck. I wish they would just buy it back or give me a different truck. I’ve been a GM guy since I started driving but how they’re handling this is really turning me away from them.

Cutting wires and splicing…? WTF. I’d be telling them no way Jose, replace with a new harness. Those splices will be a potential problem area in the future IMHO.

Back