New truck not starting

I see a lot of reports of this on some facebook groups, anyone else had this issue?

Happened to me about a month ago 1200 miles. Again yesterday and a third time today 3000 miles. Cranks for 20 seconds then stops itself. Once it starts I've found no way to stop it. Wait a few seconds try the button again and it starts up.

Happened to me about a month ago 1200 miles. Again yesterday and a third time today 3000 miles. Cranks for 20 seconds then stops itself. Once it starts I've found no way to stop it. Wait a few seconds try the button again and it starts up.

Seems a bit scary actually. I wonder if any damage can occur with it trying to crank like that?

Mine just did this tonight. Started attempted for about 20 secs, and I could do nothing to stop it. I let it stop on it's own and waited about 10 secs, and it fired right up. I was at home. Thankfully not in a parking lot full of people looking at me. :cautious:

23XX miles on mine so far.

I feel for you guys.

I don't do anything abnormal starting mine. Hop in...close door(sometimes)...push start button...damn, no crank...depress brake pedal...push start button.

Atleast it seems like you guys never have a failure during the second crank attempt.

I'm guessing here, as I'm old school, but I'm wondering if some relay or fuel pump solenoid on the fuel side of things is not clicking in and/or fast enough during the initial crank? Or if the underhood fuse box bolts are loose and not supplying enough amperage during the initial crank to the fuel pump?

We don't have spark or the low fuel pressure, like the gas boys. They don't seem to have this condition.

Maybe this will be able to be remedied by software.

Happened to me today for the 2nd time, First time less than 500 miles, drove approx 7 miles, shut the truck off walked up to the door to get in the building, and noticed I forgot my key for the door, walked back to the truck and noticed some mean clouds and just waxed it the day before, so decided to pull in the garage, pushed brake pedal and start button and it cranked on? Pushed button several times during this crank no start cycle nothing, seem to time out? Then pushed it to start and it fired up as usual.
now I have 2500 miles on it, drove it to fill it up for fuel, about 5 miles, shut it off filled it up about 19 gals. got my receipt at the pump and went to start, cranked on no start, I again push the button on and off and even took my foot off Brak Pedal while it was cranking? nothing, maybe 20 secs and it stopped cranking on its own, then retried and it fired up as normal. we will see when and if happens again?

Update 7/26/21, Happened today again, went to the shooting range to shoot some rounds of Trap, about 1.5 hours later when I was leaving the truck just cranked away till it timed out, no attempt even to fire while cranking, like no fuel? Then after I removed my foot off the brake and it finally timed out cranking, I retried and fired right up?, I installed my Blue driver scan tool module to see if any codes had set and none, I wish I had it in and maybe review some data as it was cranking? maybe next time, or dealer when it goes back for a free oil change will know something. Now 3 times in 3,500 miles

Last edited:
Happened to me today, first time. Started up fine at home and drove to fuel up. Finished fueling and pushed the start button and it cranked for about 15-20 seconds and no start. Pressing the start button several times while pressing the brake pedal had no affect. It stopped on its own. Pressed the brake pedal again and pressed the start button and it started normally. Truck only has 1600 miles on it. Hope this isn't causing damage to something?????

Happened to me today, first time. Started up fine at home and drove to fuel up. Finished fueling and pushed the start button and it cranked for about 15-20 seconds and no start. Pressing the start button several times while pressing the brake pedal had no affect. It stopped on its own. Pressed the brake pedal again and pressed the start button and it started normally. Truck only has 1600 miles on it. Hope this isn't causing damage to something?????
Interesting that both times with me and now you, it was after a shutdown and then a restart condition? Also truck cranks on until it times out and then restarts as normal after the crank time out. I now have 3200 miles, no other events yet, I Changed oil myself at 2000 miles and will mention it to the dealer when I go back for my free included first LOF.

Mine just did this tonight. Started attempted for about 20 secs, and I could do nothing to stop it. I let it stop on it's own and waited about 10 secs, and it fired right up. I was at home. Thankfully not in a parking lot full of people looking at me. :cautious:

23XX miles on mine so far.

Mine just did it again, 44XX miles on it.

Fix will be coming, for sure some software glitch? never happens with start/stop, never happens on a cold start, seems like fuel-related glitch as it does not even attempt to fire. has compression, should just need fuel which I believe is missing.
Time will come , it will get fixed, be patient, positives for me out way the Negative, just averaged 31.3 MPG going to Virginia and back from Nj.

Happened again today only 44 miles since the first time. Has been in the garage for the last two days and did it on a cold start. Started right up on the second try. Hopefully they will get a fix soon.

Wow cold start, first time I personly heard happening on a cold start? I do believe there will be a fix soon, but as I feel even with it as long as it does not leave me stranded the +s out way this condition as long as it gets fixed down the road, a bit embarrassing when it happens. lol.

#3 also, happened Sunday. The only thing I noticed was the dash lights and gauges at the crank timeout flashed and gauge dials moved like a normal start, but no start. Started on second try as normal. They need to fix this soon.

Unreal. My 21 was built October 20. Something must have changed software or hardware.

Long start happened 4 times, 2 times after driving several hundred miles stopped shut off engine then went to restart and it just continually cranks without firing. Luckily on the second attempt it did fire each time. The second two times truck had not run for over 8 hours tried to start and same long crank, waited a few seconds and then tried it fired up. Problem with the mechanics? Fuel system? Electrical?

Back