2020 GMC AT4 3.0L/Massive Oil Leak

Granuts55

Jan 14, 2021
Hello, I have a 2020 GMC 3.0L with aprox 7k miles. While I drove home, kept smelling oil burning. Arrived home and backed into the shop, noticed oil EVERYWHERE on the ground. No engine check lights came on. Towed to dealership. 2-3 quarts low on oil. Transmission had to be removed. Determined to be rear main seal, installed incorrectly at factory. Replaced seal and back on the road. 3 weeks later, more oil leaking, just not as excessive. Back to dealership and transmission coming back out to access rear main seal again.
Question-Any other 3.0L owners experience this type of oil leak?
Thanks

Welcome.. this is news to me. Please keep us updated on the fixes!

Just did the first service at 3025 miles. Completely dry underneath.

It sure appears the rear main leak is popping up on a handful of trucks. I asked my dealer and they hadn’t had one yet in for that. Bummer and hopefully it’s just a bad batch of improper install or faulty seals. I’ve been keeping an eye on mine. Totally dry at 3500 miles

Add me to the list didn't even make it to the first oil change. Has been in the shop now for 2 going on three weeks. They replaced the seal thought it was fixed had it detailed and it started leaking again. I guess the GM engineer wants them to replace some seals in the engine now along with the rear main seal again. They offered to submit a claim to pick up the payment do to the longevity of the repair. I'll keep you posted with my truck.

Add me to the list didn't even make it to the first oil change. Has been in the shop now for 2 going on three weeks. They replaced the seal thought it was fixed had it detailed and it started leaking again. I guess the GM engineer wants them to replace some seals in the engine now along with the rear main seal again. They offered to submit a claim to pick up the payment do to the longevity of the repair. I'll keep you posted with my truck.
How many miles?

I have the same issue going on with my truck was driving in from work made it about 3 miles from my house the check engine light came on and it went into reduced power made it home had a trail of oil up the driveway with a large puddle after I stopped. It’s been in the shoo for a week they said it was a blown rear main seal the truck has 4300 miles on it.

I wonder if it's bad seals? Bad factory procedures.. or .. ?

Well I got mine back from the shop today the understanding that I got from them is that it was improperly installed at the factory. But I don’t trust what they tell me

They are doing the valve covers on my engine along with the seal again. Apparently that's what the rep wanted them to do.

Just got my truck back today after 4 weeks in the shop. So far it's not leaking I will keep you all posted. They are picking up my car payment for the month and extending my power train warranty.

Just got my truck back today after 4 weeks in the shop. So far it's not leaking I will keep you all posted. They are picking up my car payment for the month and extending my power train warranty.

Glad to hear they are helping out for being in the shop for that long.

FYI for anyone who had this problem I was able to get a 60 month 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty bumper to bumper and power train at no cost starting at the date they are submitting the paperwork not the purchase date. I had to options either pursue the car payment for the month or pick the warranty option.

FYI for anyone who had this problem I was able to get a 60 month 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty bumper to bumper and power train at no cost starting at the date they are submitting the paperwork not the purchase date. I had to options either pursue the car payment for the month or pick the warranty option.
Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. Good deal and backing to offer that much warranty extension. 11,000 kms on mine including a 2,100km trip pulling a four place enclosed snowmobile trailer though the mountains. So far no leaks, but man did it ever gulp DEF down. Used at least 60 litres of Def on that trip. Averaged 13mpg.

I have the same issue going on with my truck was driving in from work made it about 3 miles from my house the check engine light came on and it went into reduced power made it home had a trail of oil up the driveway with a large puddle after I stopped. It’s been in the shoo for a week they said it was a blown rear main seal the truck has 4300 miles on it.
Just had same problem 10000 miles on truck

Is the rear main seal the same as the lower timing cover seal? Does anyone have a part # ? I had same problem. truck is still at dealership. It is 2021.

Back