Aftermarket cooler and bypass

Mooseman

Oct 19, 2021
These products are certainly interesting for me since I tow a lot.

Although I haven't overheated the tranny while towing (maybe saw ~205f max while towing), I'm usually the preventive type. I especially don't like the thermal bypass which doesn't let fluid go to the cooler until it reaches a certain temp. Mine seems to hang around ~195f during normal driving.

Both aren't cheap $351 and $126USD respectively + shipping. PPE ships to Canada for $44 but Demonworks for the cooler doesn't but ships for free to a US address. PPE will ship to a US address for $14.

My biggest concern would be if I ever do have a failure that needs warranty work, they would refuse it because of these mods. Is there a precedent for this type of claim?

As always, the dealer has to provide the failure was related to the modification. Generally, it's a fight and something I would try to avoid in general unless the aftermarket product is just THAT much better.

My $.02

So far I haven't seen the need for it unless I start travelling in the US desert areas or doing crazy hill climbs in BC. Still good to know these products are available, especially the cooler.

I have found a slightly cheaper alternative to the PPE cooler bypass block. This kit works with our 10L90E as per their video:

I also like that if there is blockage either in the line or cooler, it will bypass the cooler although the tranny will still overheat.

The stock tranny cooler already looks pretty beefy compared to old radiator and external coolers. If the thermal bypass is disabled and full flow to the cooler is allowed, it should be sufficient.

These products are certainly interesting for me since I tow a lot.

Although I haven't overheated the tranny while towing (maybe saw ~205f max while towing), I'm usually the preventive type. I especially don't like the thermal bypass which doesn't let fluid go to the cooler until it reaches a certain temp. Mine seems to hang around ~195f during normal driving.

Both aren't cheap $351 and $126USD respectively + shipping. PPE ships to Canada for $44 but Demonworks for the cooler doesn't but ships for free to a US address. PPE will ship to a US address for $14.

My biggest concern would be if I ever do have a failure that needs warranty work, they would refuse it because of these mods. Is there a precedent for this type of claim?
I would be inclined to use the 4 qrt extra capacity pan, if it didn't hang down too much more than stock.

My only problem with it is that it doesn't use an extended oil filter to reach the bottom of the pan. What's the point of the extra capacity if it can't use it?

My biggest beef is no dipstick. Apart from checking the level, you can also see the condition of the fluid.

Speaking of the filter, did find this article explaining how it works. Pretty cool that they now filter for finer particles.

I’m really hoping PPE or someone comes out with some sort of fill tube/dip stick for these transmissions…

Back