Air bags for 2023 gmc Denali 1500

sparkyjeff

Dec 26, 2023
I’ve checked from the dealership, GMC tech-support, local tire and suspension shop and I cannot find an answer on whether or not I could put airbags on the back of the truck for towing purposes. This truck has the ARC suspension system. When I hook up my 6000 pound boat, the truck sags 2 inches in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5
Yes, you can. A member on duramax forum (SFLTruck I believe, who is also a member here) has it on his for the exact same reason.

Last edited:
We pull a 28-foot Airstream with 850 pounds hitch weight. We use a Reese equalizing hitch (1000/10000) with the built in sway control. It gives a great ride and towing experience at highway speed. The hitch may be a good option for you and at a considerable saving over the price of airbags plus no pump to contend with.

The trick to any equalizing hitch is the installation. There are lots of good videos on YouTube. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Am I reading this right? The idea of that is to take the weight off the back of my truck so it won’t sag as much?

Yes the eq hitch will move some of the weight to the front axle. When adjusted correctly you will have only a 1/2 in or so sag. With the weight equally distributed your boat will pull like a dream. No fish tailing, no sag.

The hitch is an easy install. I think we paid $350??? for the hitch and I installed it myself. It will be the $350 dollars you will ever spent.

Is there a model number. I see there’s a few different types. I guess I just need to read a little bit more.

Any RV dealer will have them in stock and can answer any and all question. You do not need a Pro ride or Blue Ox they are no better and cost $1500 to $3500. I have been towing RVs since 1972. The best hitch for the money and ease of use is the Reese then easlift. Try to stay away from hitches that use chains. The dealer may charge $300 to install and adjust the hitch for you.

s-l140.png
Form Reese web page Draw-Tite Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit 11,500 Lbs. Round Bar US $382.74

Boy, I appreciate all the information you’ve given me. I am going out tomorrow to investigate this. Have a Happy New Year!

This is really good info! I looked into this and it really makes sense. I’m going to order this setup for towing my boat.

Thanks!

I don't think you will be disappointed. If you have any question, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Question. My boat and trailer weigh in at 6600 pounds. Do I buy the 8000 pound capacity hitch and have some room for heavier loads?

We have a 28 foot Airstream that weighs 8,200 pounds, with 850 pounds hitch weight. I have a 1000/10,000 pound hitch. When I hook up our trailer there is a slight bow in the bars. This is what I did - I went to the local farmers grain elevator and weighed my complete rig. We asked if we could come after hours - so we didn't interfere with their normal business. Then I pulled up on the scales where my hitch was on the scales but not the trailer wheels. I unhooked my trailer and pulled the truck off the scales. Note, your trailer has to be level if it is a tandem axle, or it will mess up the geometry of the weight. That gave me my tongue weight (not exactly but real close). Hitches are sold for a specific weight and a heavier hitch would defeat the purpose. Any RV dealer will have hitches in stock and will be able to give recommendations as to what you need. With our set-up we pull our Airstream 12,000 - 15,000 miles a year from the farmland of Louisiana to wherever we decide to go.

Your welcome. If you install it your self and have question feel free to ask I may have an answer. Happy New Year and happy travels.

Back