Excessive oil consumption?

Almost sounds like there is some sort of electrical ground/electrical issue with all the codes you were throwing. What year? How many miles on the truck? Bought used? Ever seen winters/salt?

This is what happened to someone’s newer Silverado that threw a bunch of codes, dealer wanted big $$$$ for the fix (because they said a bunch of modules had ‘gone bad’, lol) and it just turned out to be a $10 ground strap that rotted out:

This guy is a real trouble shooter and not just a throw parts at it kind of tech like the GM dealer.

Not saying this is exactly your problem, but bad electrical grounds can cause all sorts of issues/gremlins..

Last edited:
Got the truck back today. Since there were so many P codes (some were a little out in left field) and that there were several U codes (vehicle communication network), they zeroed in on the possibility that the powered running board system (3rd party system installed by previous owner that plugs into the OBD2 plug) has some shorted, grounded, or open leads and was “sending” random bits into the network (garbage in, garbage out). They could not reproduce the faults with the running boards disconnected. They recommended that we keep the running boards disconnected for a week or so and see if “real” codes get thrown or something doesn’t run right. If it’s clean, plug the running boards back in (after examining all the running board wiring) and see if codes start happening again. We’ll be heading home with the TT tomorrow and see what happens.

I saw that video. I couldn't believe it was on a 2019 but the location of that ground strap was just stupid. Something for me to keep an eye on.

Got the truck back today. Since there were so many P codes (some were a little out in left field) and that there were several U codes (vehicle communication network), they zeroed in on the possibility that the powered running board system (3rd party system installed by previous owner that plugs into the OBD2 plug) has some shorted, grounded, or open leads and was “sending” random bits into the network (garbage in, garbage out). They could not reproduce the faults with the running boards disconnected. They recommended that we keep the running boards disconnected for a week or so and see if “real” codes get thrown or something doesn’t run right. If it’s clean, plug the running boards back in (after examining all the running board wiring) and see if codes start happening again. We’ll be heading home with the TT tomorrow and see what happens.
Well, that could be some real good news, good to hear. Electrical short in the board wiring or motor likely… who‘s make? AMP Research, RBP or …??

I saw that video. I couldn't believe it was on a 2019 but the location of that ground strap was just stupid. Something for me to keep an eye on.
Yup. Mines going in to get the Krown treatment this coming Monday (provided it doesn’t rain), to keep the rust gremlins away.

Yup. Mines going in to get the Krown treatment this coming Monday (provided it doesn’t rain), to keep the rust gremlins away.
I'm not too fussy about Krown. I find their stuff is so thin it washes off too easily. I go to an independent oil sprayer that uses thicker stuff and also charges less. I'll have to do both of mine before the snow flies.

Well, with power running boards disconnected, had the same problems as before (even so much as the engine getting shut down while negotiating a freeway interchange. Was able to baby it home. Taking to a local GMC dealer today.

I'm not too fussy about Krown. I find their stuff is so thin it washes off too easily. I go to an independent oil sprayer that uses thicker stuff and also charges less. I'll have to do both of mine before the snow flies.
Yea, I agree it’s a little on the thinner side (especially for the undercarriage…) but it really wicks into all the very small nooks, crannies and crevices (like door hems, etc) and actually displaces water. Definitely better than nothing at all though.

Rust check supposedly has the coat and protect, which is supposed to be thick and stick. May do that one next fall…?

Well, with power running boards disconnected, had the same problems as before (even so much as the engine getting shut down while negotiating a freeway interchange. Was able to baby it home. Taking to a local GMC dealer today.
That’s too bad, sorry to hear. I’m wondering if your truck was a previous buy back or something like someone else said with all the problems you have been having.

Back