Excessive oil consumption?

Travo2020

Hello, my coworker and I both have the new 3.0 duramax. I have a GMC and he has a Chevy. He drives a lot of miles to work. His truck threw a code the other day and he wasn’t sure what is was. Has had a few issues in the past with his truck already. Got about 20k miles on it. Anyways we checked his oil and his dip stick was dry. Had the oil changed 3k miles ago and it was dry. Took the truck into the local dealership and they told him his truck was three quarts low and that some of these engines are burning a lot of oil. That’s a quart a 1,000 miles! The dealership told him a service bulliten just came out for these engines for oil issues. I’m out working so I’m unable to check my engine out to see how mines doing. Thought I’d post this and see if anyone else is having issues like this. Thanks

Attachments

• bunuawnbog 'sybiaM 9 ad ¾ Jiaut 8 6 LOinisn D in p e o e enr Jewo}sno XSW 5 Mojaq eayspeauds ...pdf
    664.5 KB · Views: 16

Travo2020

I was incorrect about the oil consumption, truck burned 5 quarts in 3000 miles. Only had two left in it.

Double A D

I have a Silverado z71 With the 3L duramax. It has 7900 miles on it and I like it so far except it does use oil. I am not sure how much yet but I have added at least a quart of dexosD before I changed the oil in it around 3000. I am going to ask the dealer about it. I am sure they will say it’s normal.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
TN
I have a Silverado z71 With the 3L duramax. It has 7900 miles on it and I like it so far except it does use oil. I am not sure how much yet but I have added at least a quart of dexosD before I changed the oil in it around 3000. I am going to ask the dealer about it. I am sure they will say it’s normal.

Welcome! Keep us updated on the oil consumption.. it seems we have a host of members here concerned about it.

MNTIM

Welcome! Keep us updated on the oil consumption.. it seems we have a host of members here concerned about it.
I assume yours is not consuming any?
i did 750
Miles between Friday- Sunday. And I didn’t loose any. But that’s brand new oil so who’s to say when it has 3k on it it won’t consume a little

Travo2020

Hey guys, stopped by the GM dealer today. Here in Mesa AZ. Talked to them about the oil usage on these trucks and they said they’ve had two come in with that issue. They replaced the PCV valve and it seemed to have stopped the issue so far. My truck goes in next week to the shop so I’ll keep you posted after it’s out and I put some miles on it.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
TN
Hey guys, stopped by the GM dealer today. Here in Mesa AZ. Talked to them about the oil usage on these trucks and they said they’ve had two come in with that issue. They replaced the PCV valve and it seemed to have stopped the issue so far. My truck goes in next week to the shop so I’ll keep you posted after it’s out and I put some miles on it.

Good info... let's hope it's a simple fix that corrects the issue!

ACP

Hi guys, I have a 2020 and I've recently been going through about a quart every 600-700 miles. Took it into the dealer but they reported everything looked fine (no codes, etc). So I'm currently doing an oil consumption test (having to stop in there every 500 miles...) so we'll see what that reveals. I mentioned the PCV valve as a potential issue but they said codes would be thrown if that was bad. Did the PCV valve end up fixing the consumption issue for others? Any other suggestions or bulletins anyone is aware of I could reference?