Excessive oil consumption?

Travo2020

Oct 9, 2020
Hello, my coworker and I both have the new 3.0 duramax. I have a GMC and he has a Chevy. He drives a lot of miles to work. His truck threw a code the other day and he wasn’t sure what is was. Has had a few issues in the past with his truck already. Got about 20k miles on it. Anyways we checked his oil and his dip stick was dry. Had the oil changed 3k miles ago and it was dry. Took the truck into the local dealership and they told him his truck was three quarts low and that some of these engines are burning a lot of oil. That’s a quart a 1,000 miles! The dealership told him a service bulliten just came out for these engines for oil issues. I’m out working so I’m unable to check my engine out to see how mines doing. Thought I’d post this and see if anyone else is having issues like this. Thanks

Attachments

• bunuawnbog 'sybiaM 9 ad ¾ Jiaut 8 6 LOinisn D in p e o e enr Jewo}sno XSW 5 Mojaq eayspeauds ...pdf
    664.5 KB · Views: 80
I was incorrect about the oil consumption, truck burned 5 quarts in 3000 miles. Only had two left in it.

I have a Silverado z71 With the 3L duramax. It has 7900 miles on it and I like it so far except it does use oil. I am not sure how much yet but I have added at least a quart of dexosD before I changed the oil in it around 3000. I am going to ask the dealer about it. I am sure they will say it’s normal.

I have a Silverado z71 With the 3L duramax. It has 7900 miles on it and I like it so far except it does use oil. I am not sure how much yet but I have added at least a quart of dexosD before I changed the oil in it around 3000. I am going to ask the dealer about it. I am sure they will say it’s normal.

Welcome! Keep us updated on the oil consumption.. it seems we have a host of members here concerned about it.

Welcome! Keep us updated on the oil consumption.. it seems we have a host of members here concerned about it.
I assume yours is not consuming any?
i did 750
Miles between Friday- Sunday. And I didn’t loose any. But that’s brand new oil so who’s to say when it has 3k on it it won’t consume a little

Hey guys, stopped by the GM dealer today. Here in Mesa AZ. Talked to them about the oil usage on these trucks and they said they’ve had two come in with that issue. They replaced the PCV valve and it seemed to have stopped the issue so far. My truck goes in next week to the shop so I’ll keep you posted after it’s out and I put some miles on it.

Hey guys, stopped by the GM dealer today. Here in Mesa AZ. Talked to them about the oil usage on these trucks and they said they’ve had two come in with that issue. They replaced the PCV valve and it seemed to have stopped the issue so far. My truck goes in next week to the shop so I’ll keep you posted after it’s out and I put some miles on it.

Good info... let's hope it's a simple fix that corrects the issue!

Hi guys, I have a 2020 and I've recently been going through about a quart every 600-700 miles. Took it into the dealer but they reported everything looked fine (no codes, etc). So I'm currently doing an oil consumption test (having to stop in there every 500 miles...) so we'll see what that reveals. I mentioned the PCV valve as a potential issue but they said codes would be thrown if that was bad. Did the PCV valve end up fixing the consumption issue for others? Any other suggestions or bulletins anyone is aware of I could reference?

Hi guys, I have a 2020 and I've recently been going through about a quart every 600-700 miles. Took it into the dealer but they reported everything looked fine (no codes, etc). So I'm currently doing an oil consumption test (having to stop in there every 500 miles...) so we'll see what that reveals. I mentioned the PCV valve as a potential issue but they said codes would be thrown if that was bad. Did the PCV valve end up fixing the consumption issue for others? Any other suggestions or bulletins anyone is aware of I could reference?
Mine is going through the same thing and is currently at the dealership with the hopeful fix for it. There is a bulletin out for this issue. They are saying that there is a cam cover with a baffle that collapses and allows oil to bypass. The glow plug (#3 I think) also is supposed to be replaced in this process as well. Fingers crossed.

Mine is going through the same thing and is currently at the dealership with the hopeful fix for it. There is a bulletin out for this issue. They are saying that there is a cam cover with a baffle that collapses and allows oil to bypass. The glow plug (#3 I think) also is supposed to be replaced in this process as well. Fingers crossed.
Could you get the bulletin number from your dealership and list here for reference?

Prior to my first oil change, it was noticeably low. Been checking after the first and has not been as bad though.

Just checked oil 400 miles after the cam cover replacement and doesn’t seem to have lost any oil. I’ll definitely keep checking and report back if that changes.

Good to read. I don't know how to figure out how many 2020's this effects by the julian dates, but hopefully not many.

Is the cam cover label readable without disassembling anything on the engine?
I was able to check mine without removing anything. There is a foam cover on top of the cam cover that blocks the label. By carefully lifting that foam a bit so I didn't rip it (I used a flat plastic piece about the size of a large popsicle stick), I was able to get my phone in there and take a picture. I was able to zoom in on the picture enough to get a look. If you look at the cam cover in that link above, you can get an idea of where the label is. It'll be on the front passenger side corner of the engine (just to the left of the oil fill cap as you look at the engine).

Hi everyone,
I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 3L Diesel SLT 15,000 miles.
"Change oil soon" came up on the dash. I checked the dip stick and there was no oil showing. Went to the dealer and they had never heard of any problems with this engine. Now going through an oil consumption test. Dealer want to check the oil every 1000 miles. I checked it after 100 miles and it seemed fine. However it was very grey. I would have thought the oil should be a golden color. It seems like I have similar issues as those of you on this thread. BTW, my truck was built without an oil warning light. I have never heard of this happening, is that common?

Is the gray, that you are seeing, maybe white? Either way, you are correct, golden brown or black in color. Diesels don't take long to darken the oil.

Is there any water/condensation under the oil fill cap?

I would let the dealer your working with know the color, now.

Only time I see gray oil, is the sludge in the bottom of a pan, lifter valley or under the valve cover when the very fine metal particles separate out. Wipe the dipstick with a paper towel and wait a few minutes to let the oil seep away on the towel, then hold it under a light and look closely and report back.

Hi everyone,
I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 3L Diesel SLT 15,000 miles.
"Change oil soon" came up on the dash. I checked the dip stick and there was no oil showing. Went to the dealer and they had never heard of any problems with this engine. Now going through an oil consumption test. Dealer want to check the oil every 1000 miles. I checked it after 100 miles and it seemed fine. However it was very grey. I would have thought the oil should be a golden color. It seems like I have similar issues as those of you on this thread. BTW, my truck was built without an oil warning light. I have never heard of this happening, is that common?
Talk to your dealership and tell them there is a bulletin out for this issue. If they still play dumb change dealerships. It’s a known issue with these trucks with a certain juilian code on the cam cover. The weld fails and sucks oil. And my oil is charcoal grey dark color. If that’s what you’re referring to as grey you should be fine. But still mention it if you think it’s odd.

Back