Fuel cap mod

My door cover slid right of with ease but was warm out, really a very easy mod.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Got mine after only 1 fuel up so I’m not having a hard time remembering to put it back on as I’ve never had a capless vehicle haha so I might not lose it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Several weeks ago I noticed diesel fuel below my fuel tank on the garage floor and looked underneath and could see where it appears to have ran down from around or above the fuel tank. Took it to the dealership and was told there is a valve in the fuel filler hose that has to be replaced and was handed the green magnetic diesel fuel cap I bought and was told this caused my problem. I have 16,000 miles on the vehicle and have had the magnetic fuel cap since the truck was new and never had a problem with fuel leaking onto the garage floor before. I was told they'd make the repair under warranty this time even thou by using the magnetic diesel fuel cap it caused the problem and wasn't approved by GM. I was told by the dealership not to use the magnetic cap again because it voids the warranty by GM on fuel emissions components. This is hard to believe with so many people using this diesel magnetic fuel caps.

Several weeks ago I noticed diesel fuel below my fuel tank on the garage floor and looked underneath and could see where it appears to have ran down from around or above the fuel tank. Took it to the dealership and was told there is a valve in the fuel filler hose that has to be replaced and was handed the green magnetic diesel fuel cap I bought and was told this caused my problem. I have 16,000 miles on the vehicle and have had the magnetic fuel cap since the truck was new and never had a problem with fuel leaking onto the garage floor before. I was told they'd make the repair under warranty this time even thou by using the magnetic diesel fuel cap it caused the problem and wasn't approved by GM. I was told by the dealership not to use the magnetic cap again because it voids the warranty by GM on fuel emissions components. This is hard to believe with so many people using this diesel magnetic fuel caps.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm about mileaged out on bumper to bumper warranty and have not had this issue.

It reads like it would be an emissions warranty issue, so if'n it happens to me, I'll be sure to remove it and throw it in the toolbox.

It was a standup thing your dealer is doing. If it was a major issue, I can't believe gm wouldn't slap another sue sticker on the fill door, saying "do not block."

On the capless filler neck there is a vent from inside to outside just below the flapper valve, If you try to top off your tank too much fuel will be forced out of the vent and on the ground. As for the warranty claim ? I have had mine on since the first month of my 2021, 36K no troubles at all.

I think this was just a coincidence. As some have said, there is a vent hole at the top of the filler neck tube and this is where it will spill out. Did you just fill your tank and maybe overfill it a little too much? Or try to add gas from a jerry can without the GM supplied emergency funnel? I tried to put some additive in directly to the tank one day when the vehicle was new to me without the funnel and it ended up just coming out onto the ground. Did that only once.

Just remove stuff like this before going to the stealership for any kind warranty service work In the future.

The cap sits nicely in the void behind the hinge. Can’t close the door unless you put it back on!

Attachments

• 71089580996__67686E7F-1BF6-47E5-A8FE-E8ED3BF4D176.jpeg
    71089580996__67686E7F-1BF6-47E5-A8FE-E8ED3BF4D176.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12
That's a good idea.. I have a habit of sitting mine on the bed rail while I'm filling up. I always look back once I pull off making sure I didn't forget it. :D

Back