New truck not starting

Cycle Stash

Jan 19, 2021
Just purchased a 21' GMC with the Elevation PKG last week.
So this happened 2 days in I go to start it step on the brake hit the start button and the engine just cranks for 10-15 seconds and does not start.

After 10 min in the middle of no where with no help around I disconnected the battery let is sit for 5 min the reconnected and it started???
This has happened twice in the first 2 weeks going back to the dealer as soon as my trip is over.
Anyone have this happen?

Just found this came out from GM on 2/5/2021 General Motors has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for a wide selection of 2019/2020/2021 model year vehicles that are experiencing a no-start or long crank condition. This includes the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, and more. Technical Service Bulletin: #20-NA-218 Updated: 2/5/2021 TSB #20-NA-218 Applies To: 2020 Cadillac CT5 2021...

CEL = Check Engine Light

Let's hope that TSB Fixes it.. thanks for posting that. Keep us updated on what happens!

I did a search for that tsb. No luck. How does one find tsb's online? Found a site, but it wasn't a gm site and it only went to 2017 models.

I did a search for that tsb. No luck. How does one find tsb's online? Found a site, but it wasn't a gm site and it only went to 2017 models.

This happened we with my new AT4 twice. It cranked with no start, i stopped it with the start/stop button after about 5 seconds of cranking. Let it sit for about 5 seconds then it started right up. Found the TSB online and took it in to the dealership today. The service tech said if they can't reproduce it, they may not be able to do anything. Waiting to see what they do but that's not the answer I was looking for from him after I specifically told him about that TSB...

This happened we with my new AT4 twice. It cranked with no start, i stopped it with the start/stop button after about 5 seconds of cranking. Let it sit for about 5 seconds then it started right up. Found the TSB online and took it in to the dealership today. The service tech said if they can't reproduce it, they may not be able to do anything. Waiting to see what they do but that's not the answer I was looking for from him after I specifically told him about that TSB...
Did they find the problem

Did they find the problem
No they said that there weren't any codes and they were unable to reproduce the issue so no remedy was taken. Kind of disappointed as the TSB clearly states, it MAY throw an error and CEL. Mine never did when it happened the two times as I scanned it afterwards and got no error codes... Has anyone else had them reflash the ECU as the TSB says?

Detail for the 3 failed to start problem:

04/01/2021
AT4 1300 miles engine cranks but no start. Engine had been off for 30 minutes. Pressed stop and retried then it started.

04/29/2021
AT4 2844 miles engine cranks but no start. Engine had been off for 15 minutes. Pressed stop and retried then it started.

04/30/2021
AT4 2854 miles engine cranks but no start only indicator on dash was engine symbol. Engine had been off for 5 minutes. Pressed stop and retried then it started.

It will be going in for this problem in the near future I'm

This is a symptom of this tsb. If your stranded before getting to dealer, try rocking this whole fuse box.

Attachments

• Underhood fuse panel2.pdf
    337.3 KB · Views: 26
4500 miles hapened again last week long crank no start. AT THE dealer for a week they could not duplicate but they say it starts and runs fine.

I beleive it is a GMC issue and not a dealer issue. If they build these trucks they should give the dealer the knowledge to fix them

I had my 2021 AT4 3.0L Diesel in for service to address the starting issue today. The service ticket said "Updated ECM software 11YN69061409 and tested" Time will tell.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted if it cures your issue.

Ok...drove 20+ miles to pickup the Grand kids:

AT4 4379 miles engine cranks but no start. Engine had been off for 20 minutes. Retried then it started.
Monday, May 24⋅08:45 AM.

It's never left me stranded but it is concerning.

Back