Transmission fluid change

rbdjr

NW New Jersey
Year
Says 45K service trans under severe service guidelines, so it could be open to judgment for severe usage? The normal maintenance schedule is still 90k

jjs34748

Central Florida
Year
I just found out today that our tranny is supposed to be serviced at 45K. From what I’ve seen online it’s a pain in the ass because there’s no drain plug and you have to drop the pan to change the filter. Was wondering if any of you have had to get this done yet. I’m at 43,000 miles right now so I guess I’ll be getting it done soon, can’t wait to see what the Stealership will charge for this.
According to the diesel supplement manual, the 45k trans service is for severe service use of the truck. On a usual daily driver vehicle for the average owner, you are not in the severe use catagory. You are driving and using the truck for what it is meant to do. If you are driving in extreame conditions of taxing the truck pulling the max weight daily, you would now qualify for the severe use catagory.
The normal use catagory does not have any reccomendation for changing the trans fluid, meaning that GM says it is a lifetime fluid in there. That being said, it is not unusual to change the fluid on most vehicles between 60-70k miles.

Insidious

Year
Well had my transmission fluid changed today and also an engine oil change. The service advisor said the old fluid they took out was fine. Apparently they put it on a test strip to check it for wear and what not. So with my Ally maintenance plan I ended up paying just a tad less than $300.

Eastwood

Called my Stealership and they said the tranny service would be about $295. I’ve got an oil change coming up in about 2K so I’ll just get it all done at the same time.
With the 5-year 100,000 powertrain warranty with the LM2 diesel, I'd say it's a smart move to let the dealer do it while under warranty.

Marvin24

Year
Called my local GMC dealership and they stated to me that it would be $700.00 and would take 4 hours to change the filter! I told them that they must be mistaken but the tech told me it was hard to change the filter.