Transmission fluid change

Says 45K service trans under severe service guidelines, so it could be open to judgment for severe usage? The normal maintenance schedule is still 90k

I just found out today that our tranny is supposed to be serviced at 45K. From what I’ve seen online it’s a pain in the ass because there’s no drain plug and you have to drop the pan to change the filter. Was wondering if any of you have had to get this done yet. I’m at 43,000 miles right now so I guess I’ll be getting it done soon, can’t wait to see what the Stealership will charge for this.
According to the diesel supplement manual, the 45k trans service is for severe service use of the truck. On a usual daily driver vehicle for the average owner, you are not in the severe use catagory. You are driving and using the truck for what it is meant to do. If you are driving in extreame conditions of taxing the truck pulling the max weight daily, you would now qualify for the severe use catagory.
The normal use catagory does not have any reccomendation for changing the trans fluid, meaning that GM says it is a lifetime fluid in there. That being said, it is not unusual to change the fluid on most vehicles between 60-70k miles.

Well had my transmission fluid changed today and also an engine oil change. The service advisor said the old fluid they took out was fine. Apparently they put it on a test strip to check it for wear and what not. So with my Ally maintenance plan I ended up paying just a tad less than $300.

Called my Stealership and they said the tranny service would be about $295. I’ve got an oil change coming up in about 2K so I’ll just get it all done at the same time.
With the 5-year 100,000 powertrain warranty with the LM2 diesel, I'd say it's a smart move to let the dealer do it while under warranty.

As long as you have proof that you used the proper fluid and filter, there should be no issues regarding warranty. Same as doing your own oil changes.

Called my local GMC dealership and they stated to me that it would be $700.00 and would take 4 hours to change the filter! I told them that they must be mistaken but the tech told me it was hard to change the filter.

Called my local GMC dealership and they stated to me that it would be $700.00 and would take 4 hours to change the filter! I told them that they must be mistaken but the tech told me it was hard to change the filter.
Sounds like they’re trying to take you for a ride brother. My dealership told me the filter didn’t need to be changed until the 2nd transmission service at around 90K.

If I remember its approx 2.0 hours flat rate Customer Pay time. for Filter and fluid change, $approx $110 and filter and gasket if needed plus fluid (8Quarts)
Hard to think it would be anything over $500 with a high est?

Stealerships are right! A while back I called the local dealer about the engine oil and filter thinking (not sure what I was thinking) that the prices should be comparable to the US, not even close! $25 CDN for each quart of oil and $20 for the filter! Whaaat…?! LOL! Parts guy then says ‘I might be able to give it to you for $20/qt’. Whatever, not into playing games and knew that Rock Auto sold it for like $7/qt and filter for like $6 in CDN funds. Shipping was around $20 if I recall correctly. In the end, you can get 2 oil changes for the price of one at the dealer.

I have a feeling that this transmission fluid is likely the same issue. At $25/qt (min knowing stealership) it’s $200 for just 8 qts. RA is currently $6.20/qt for ULV-ATF, filter $50, all CDN $$.

Overall price of $700 seems pretty steep though. I’d do it myself for that price.

I have a feeling that this transmission fluid is likely the same issue. At $25/qt (min knowing stealership) it’s $200 for just 8 qts. RA is currently $6.20/qt for ULV-ATF, filter $50, all CDN $$.
Just spotted this on Amazon.ca. What a ripoff! Comes to $27/qt. Mind you, this is the LV version for the 8 speed, not the ULV for ours but still gives an idea of the scam being run here, even by Amazon and Mobil.

Reading the reviews, people seem to be using this stuff to fix the shudder problems in the 8 speed. So far, there hasn't been any comments regarding the 10 speed with shifting or shudder problems 🤞

Rock Auto is pretty much the only place I’ll order parts from. Delivered right to your door, cheaper than any supply outlet and no hassle. I mean just look at the price of the engine oil, at 1/3 the price of the local stealership!

Dropping the pan to change filters is not uncommon. What is uncommon, is not having a damn dipstick!.
This is True... I haven't checked on the 10speed Allison in my Elevation but it may be on the top of the pan flange lip ( stubby 18mm ) like my 2010 F-150 is.

On the 6L80E on cars, there is no dipstick. You remove a plug in the pan and you fill it until it starts dripping out. And you fill it through the hole where the trucks have a dipstick. I haven't checked yet if there is a check plug on the pan of this one.

I go by the condition of the fluid, not necessarily mileage and this pisses me off. Just one thing for them to save money on the cost of a dipstick and to make money on the fluid check, change or top up. Theoretically it shouldn't need any if it's not leaking.

I dunno. Looks like the hole that was used in 6 and 8 speed trannys for either a plug or dipstick is now a screw in case plug. Found this on another forum:

Level Check Procedure

This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Warning: The transmission fluid temperature (TFT) must be between 75-80°C (167-176°F).If the TFT is lower than this temperature range, either idle or brake torque the vehicle to raise the fluid temperature. If the TFT is higher than this range, shut off the vehicle to allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an over-fill or under-fill condition. If TFT is greater than 80°C = under-filled. If TFT is less than 75°C = over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to overflow from the vent tube, possibly causing a fire that may result in serious bodily injury or severe vehicle damage, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

Note: This vehicle is equipped with an internal thermal bypass valve, the transmission fluid level should be checked only after the TFT has reached or exceeded an operating temperature of 70°C (158°F). Once the TFT has reached or exceeded 70°C  (158°F), then you can check the fluid level.

Caution: To obtain the required transmission temperature, set the vehicle parking brake, run converter stalls while also applying the foot brake and placing the transmission in drive gear range to heat the transmission oil. Run 10 seconds on, then 10 seconds off converter stall. Brake torque is not to exceed 1500 engine RPM’s. Failure to maintain 10 second intervals or exceeding 1500 engine RPM’s may result in transmission internal damage.
  1. Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.
  2. Start and idle the engine.
  3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500–800 RPM).
  4. Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.
  5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
  6. Danger: Transmission fluid is flammable and the area around the automatic transmission case plug is hot due to the proximity of the exhaust system components. Always wear protective gloves to avoid personal injury. When draining the transmission, protect all exhaust components including the catalytic converter and catalytic converter heat shield from making contact with transmission fluid. Failure to do this could cause smoke and/or a fire resulting in serious bodily injury or severe vehicle damage.
    Caution: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.
    Note: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.
  7. Remove the automatic transmission case plug (1) from the transmission. Allow any fluid to drain.
  8. If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.
  9. If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid comes out in a steady stream and then drips out. Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure
  10. Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.
  11. If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of “friction” material in the bottom pan is a “normal” condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.
  12. Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission
  13. Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.
  14. Replace the automatic transmission case plug and tighten to 22 Y  (16 lb ft).
  15. Inspect for external leaks. Fluid Leak Diagnosis
10L80.jpg.19d94ee7d9ca94e69d7ffd0fbb900e8d.jpg

Back