Catch can for the 3.0

gemarsh

Nebraska, where the Dusty Denali Diesel's roam.
Staff member
Nov 25, 2020
Been contacting US manufacturers that produce catch cans. All but one say they have no plans to support the 3.0 diesel.

Steve from Elite Engineering says they are working on a solution.

Guess I know who I will support. If you all have time, drop them an email if you would, maybe with more requests, Elite will put a rush on manufacturing.

We do have a centrifugal oil sperator like the 6.6 does I believe John barra stated in one of his videos... but it’ll be interesting to see how our intakes look when people start getting 60+k miles on them.

If we are talking about somebody making a Bypass filtration system you’ll have my attention.

If we are talking about somebody making a Bypass filtration system you’ll have my attention.
You seen the Insane Diesel kit? Ordered, but have not received. Kinda jinkzie return, but better than nothing for now.

I just installed a Provent catch can on my 3.0. Wasn't the easiest mod I've made, but works so far.

Skip h.

Sorry I'm new but ....what the heck you talking about? Pictures please. First Diesal I owned.

Sorry I'm new but ....what the heck you talking about? Pictures please. First Diesal I owned.
It is a canister that separates the blow-by oil out of the blow-by. It splices into the pcv hose before the intake.

Duckduckgo search for "catch can". Lots of pictures.

Good use of that dead empty corner.

No update right now, This damn covid has kept me at home. Usually I'd have 2 long trip done by now.

For what it's worth, I drained 1.2 oz of oil out of the Provent catch can in 1200 miles. I should be taking a 4000 mile trip at the the start of October and will update then.

I’m really getting temped to add a catch can and bypass.
some of these Uoas show relativity high metal. Compared to all the bigger diesels. And I had heard a few people took off the intake pipe by the CAC and it was already full of oily residue

Checked my intake and it’s clean. Has a tiny bit of condensation but I had a quick short trip and it went from about 45 this morning to 90 this afternoon so no worries there. I was really surprised how clean it was… 11k miles and no catch can for me. I would imagine if I was getting a quantifiable amount that a catch can would reduce it would be noticeable in Here?

Attachments

• 60B44D40-CE21-46F1-9384-3A565AA0C38A.jpeg
    60B44D40-CE21-46F1-9384-3A565AA0C38A.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
No worries there, but doesn't the blowby get "injected/dumped" directly in the manifold?

No worries there, but doesn't the blowby get "injected/dumped" directly in the manifold?
That’s a great question. Let me go check the closest thing to a schematic of the system I’ve found which is the early release bulletin to the techs back in 2019.

I was under the impression it’s routed to the compressor intake which basically is using vacuum at low boost or idle to pull pcv gasses through the oil separator build into the valve cover (I think) and then back through the compressor to start all over. And when under boost it may or may not use the same path or have a check valve that would allow boost air to do the same process. Similar to the ecotec motors but for gods sake hopefully better… regardless those are fed into the compressor also and they FILL the whole system with goo.

If it was to be dumped into the intake it would need to be at the same or slightly more psi than the intake itself

#19-NA-180 is the bulletin released awhile ago.

Attachments

• A990AD0D-75BA-481E-9714-7B13900A9115.png
    A990AD0D-75BA-481E-9714-7B13900A9115.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 43
Back