Extended crank but no start issue

Have you experienced a ECNS

• Total voters
If still getting into problems with the dealer, just print and bring a copy of the bulletin in this thread. Or very simply check the software version in the ECU and update it.

Some techs are techno zombies where all they do is scan for codes.

I have a 21 Silverado 3.0 duramax and has had ecns probably about 20 times since I’ve had the truck for 8 months. I thought initially it was me, I took it in to get looked at in October and service tech said he had no clue what I was talking about and could not do anything because he couldn’t duplicate the problem. It happens so randomly but recently it happened to the where I had ecns about 4 times in a row before it started and threw a code to my phone saying my battery was low and I needed to start my vehicle to charge it.. lmao! Then about an hour later after it finally started check engine light came on and an emissions email came from Chevy app saying I needed vehicle serviced asap! Clearly! So I have an appointment end of the week though this time I’m coming with info on this to tell them what the problem is and needs fixed this time! Watching utube videos on this it could be a major problem as well taking the the entire truck apart to fix. I’m not settling for can’t fix this time!
I had the same issues. My check engine light went off once it started. They finally did the reflash for me. It happens so random, who knows if it helped. I do have a 10mm socket in my glovebox now just in case it happens again. Disconnecting the battery for a minute seemed to help my truck.

I had my reflashed last week and now it cranks over a lot more before starting up. I don’t know if that’s normal crank or not but domes not sound as good as a crank or 2 before starting up.
I’m on the fence right now on just trading it in for a 2022 z71 rst.. rid myself of this seems to be big headache.

I had my reflashed last week and now it cranks over a lot more before starting up. I don’t know if that’s normal crank or not but domes not sound as good as a crank or 2 before starting up.
I’m on the fence right now on just trading it in for a 2022 z71 rst.. rid myself of this seems to be big headache.
do what you have to do?

$1.86CAD/L here today, expected to go to $1.96 by tomorrow.

That's $5.10USD/gal, tomorrow $5.78. Yep, glad I'm getting 23MPG!

I think this is the first time that US prices are near Canadian! Usually you guys are much lower to the point that we fill up down there whenever we can.

My 21 GMC had its first extended crank at 400 miles and it continued sporadically until the first oil change at 6500miles. my dealer did the re-flash and the EC occurred once before the next service interval at 13000miles. My dealer has had the parts on order since last November (Gasket Kit, shim). 3 EC's before the next service at 19500miles. Parts still on backorder .....Now at 24200 miles I've had 4 EC's and the check engine light illuminated for 1 day then went out , Dealer called and said the parts are in ! I'm scheduled for 3/28 , Dealer needs two days to examine the Cam Exciter Wheel before diagnosing the repair described in the latest Service Bulletin. Very disappointed with this issue . I'm getting great MPG, up to 30 on average. Better than the 14,16,19 Ram Ecodiesels I owned .I drive 3k-4kmiles a month for work. Rams never gave me problems except for the excessive turbo lag that got worse after the FCA emissions recall. The Duramax has little to no turbo lag. Not feeling good about the Dealer tearing into the engine ,removing the cab . Maybe I should trade for a Ram Hemi now that Diesel is $5.10GAL

Yes I have heard of some cam wheels being bent, mine was a simple reflash that cured the problem, if the reflash does not cure the extended crank no start then I would look into the exciter wheel being bent

I had a 2015 Ram Hemi. Went through 3 transmissions. Heaviest towing was 4500lb snowmobile trailer maybe 2000 miles/year. Had both exhaust manifolds replaced, one head, and a pressure sensor in the fuel tank. All in 104k miles.

I've had 3 more occurrences since I last reported it.. The two being just a couple days apart. Weird..

I've got an appt for the newest flash next Friday.. hopefully that takes care of my issue.

I've had 3 more occurrences since I last reported it.. The two being just a couple days apart. Weird..

I've got an appt for the newest flash next Friday.. hopefully that takes care of my issue.
You have not had your reflash done yet? ??

Close to 28k miles and haven't had this issue yet. I am guessing it won't show its ugly head.

Would this reflash be covered by some kind of warranty after the 36k bumper warranty? Hate to fix something that is not broken, but I also don't want to spend funds, when it's available for free.

You could lie and say it did it just to get the reflash. There's no way for them to know. If it should happen out of warranty, you'd be on the hook for the bill.

Back