Navigation

Captjack

Jan 14, 2021
Recently purchased a 2021 GMC elevation with the Duramax without navigation and I saw Company online OBDGENIE.COM that offered basically a plug and play and I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these guys, thanks

No reviews that I can find for them. If you have an IOS option code and if you have a SD card reader, sounds like that would be the ticket. If you don't have a SD slot, they will supply you with one. That becomes not as simple as plugging into the OBD port.

For navigation, just use Apple Carplay or Android Auto.. it's 10x better than the factory option!

i like having my phone as a backup nav to the factory nav anything can fail and will when you need it most.

This looks very intriguing. Hopefully others will give some feedback on this product. Following this thread...

I got a 2021 with the nav, I used it during the free trial period and it's pretty good, especially with being able to push directions from the app. But since my trial period expired I can no longer use it without activating the subscription, so I just use my android wireless, which I personally prefer.

Myzery19: Did you purchase the OBD Genie nav or are you talking about the factory OnStar nav? I have a question in to OBD Genie on whether or not an OnStar subscription is needed because watching their install video, there are a couple of OnStar permissions that have to be given. If no subscription is needed I will probably buy the OBD Genie. Still waiting to hear back from them as it is the weekend.

I am not sure what GMC was thinking with navigation system. I could see where I wanted to go off the freeway but instead decided to follow the GPS directions. It took me two miles in the opposite direction then did a u-turn to get me there. Is it possible to install a better system and replace the factory install. It is very unreliable.

Depends on what you're using. I don't have the built-in Nav but use Google Maps via Android Auto and it works well. Also use Waze the same way however its navigation for construction detours can be off at times. Useful for cops and hazards reported ahead.

I've always found built-in Nav to be outdated and not as useful as the online options. And it's usually expensive to keep updated or paying the subscription while others are free.

I've always found built-in Nav to be outdated and not as useful as the online options. And it's usually expensive to keep updated or paying the subscription while others are free.

^^ This right here... providing in car navigation isn't a great solution for auto makers these days.. hence why most infotainment systems are google based (with Google Maps built right in..).

it is all relative my best friend has a Navigation system 1.0
86f62882-f2ac-4aa6-b165-d096721dbb3c.1759d4731d44bd85975dfbc6f5e9d266.jpeg

it is all relative my best friend has a Navigation system 1.0
86f62882-f2ac-4aa6-b165-d096721dbb3c.1759d4731d44bd85975dfbc6f5e9d266.jpeg
Your friend is wise. I carry one also. Damn electronic maps don't show rest stops. As a coffee consumer and over 50, I need to know where they are, on interstates. State patrol don't like it when you pull under a overpass to piss.

Back