Catch can for the 3.0

Sometime when your not busy, pop the hood and remove the oil fill cap with the engine running.

I was floored.

Well folks,
I had the Provent Catch Can installed and over 5400 miles, it caught 2.60 Ounces of oil. Yep, that is it
Well, any oil taken out of the intake is good right?

The Bad: The Provent and hoses must cause a build up of pressure or the Provent vented under pressure as I had a code P04DB(Crankcase breather system disconnected) set many times and after I cleared it there is now a hard code P04DB set and I not able to remove that yet.

On this 4300 mile trip, Every time I had to mash on the throttle heavily, it set the code. It set many times and I finally gave up resetting it and left the MIL light on as it didnt affect performance on the trip.
Maybe one of the other catch cans would work better? I don't know.
The truck did burn a quart of oil on this trip, time for a oil change.
I'm giving up on this setup.

Well folks,
I had the Provent Catch Can installed and over 5400 miles, it caught 2.60 Ounces of oil. Yep, that is it

The Bad: The Provent and hoses must cause a build up of pressure or the Provent vented under pressure as I had a code P04DB(Crankcase breather system disconnected) set many times and after I cleared it there is now a hard code P04DB set and I not able to remove that yet.

On this 4300 mile trip, Every time I had to mash on the throttle heavily, it set the code. It set many times and I finally gave up resetting it and left the MIL light on as it didnt affect performance on the trip.
Thanks for the update and symptoms.

Well folks,

Was it burning oil before the catch can install?

Anyone have any new info on catch cans for the 3.0?

I emailed J&L to ask if any of their kits would work, they replied:
"Hey ____,

Thanks for reaching out. Diesels have much higher cylinder pressures and you have to be really careful you don't restrict the PCV system on them too much or else you'll cause all kinds of other issues. Because of this, we do not make any products for diesels. Sorry we couldn't be more help.

Shane Osborn

J&L Oil Separator Co.
757-842-6497 x106
1008 Executive Blvd
Chesapeake, VA 23320
www.JLOSC.com"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

MightyMouse also emailed me back recently when i inquired about their offerings. Their first reply was that they thought their duramax 2.8 kit would work, I replied back that i sensed hesitancy (see below).....

"I cannot confirm fit until I have one in the shop here for an install, or have someone willing to test fit remotely. Anyone in central VA on your forums can come in and get the installation for free. (free labor, not parts).

The function of the can however, is not part of the question, as normal operation is transparent to the computer system in every application (so far) in about 20,000 shipments."

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 2:57 PM ______ wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response. I’m most concerned about vacuum pressure decreases to the system if the hoses are too small of diameter and/or too long and contribute to pressure decreases that the ECU wont compensate for. Am I out in left field on this thought?

There’s a ton of guys on FB forums interested in catch cans for our 3.0L. I’ve recently peaked their interests with several posts. Your company might want to get ahead of the curve and openly acknowledge if not confirm the 2.8 works flawlessly for the 3.0. I sense hesitancy in your response, as well, I don’t want to be your guinea pig on this. LOL

Would love to work with you on this and be able to recommend your kit, but would like to sense more confidence from you that this will in fact work flawlessly. Makes sense? Due diligence on both our parts, yes?"

You have to be really careful with catch cans in sub zero temps, they can really cause a lot of issues/problems and really have to be engineered right for those conditions.
I have not seen any good ones at the moment, but we are all here to learn so maybe someone else has.

Back