Excessive oil consumption?

Just got done with another long road trip pulling the 7300 # camper. Averaged burning a quart every 500 miles. Went 3000 miles pulling camper and used 6 quarts. Truck ran perfect other that drinking oil. On another 2500 mile trip without towing, it didn't seem to consume any oil.

Wow. I wish GM would have spent more time with this engine before updating it. Keep us posted on what GM has to say about it if you take it in.

Ours didn't use that much. On a 1000km round trip with our 6500# trailer, it maybe used about 1/2 qt. Over the whole season, totalling maybe 3000km, added just one qt.

Which reminds me, I should change the oil to follow severe duty schedule. I dunno why, I have a feeling the dealer used regular Dexos 0w20 as the receipt didn't specifically list DexosD and have been finding the engine a little noisier lately.

Just got done with another long road trip pulling the 7300 # camper. Averaged burning a quart every 500 miles. Went 3000 miles pulling camper and used 6 quarts. Truck ran perfect other that drinking oil. On another 2500 mile trip without towing, it didn't seem to consume any oil.

That just isn't right.

Anyone hear of any correlation between oil consumption and glow plug issues? Wondering if the glowplugs are being affected by the oil burnoff.

my son in laws 2020 with 9000 miles got a code ask me to check it before going to the dealer, had no oil on the dip stick, and now number 2 glow plug has a fault, had to put oil in my 2020 GMC Sierra the other day, just normal driving. Ive had a durmax diesel for many years and none have used oil like this 3.0L does! And GM thinks it's normal.

@St8fan , that is definitely not normal. I would bring this up with the dealer. 6 qts is not normal, towing or not. I've been towing a bunch and used at most 1/2 qt. If they say it's normal, ask them to show you in the service manual where it says that. Call out their BS!

I have 92000 on the truck, do you think GM is going to do anything about it, its out of all warranties, hell the folks on here with very few miles can't get them to do anything about it!

@St8fan , that is definitely not normal. I would bring this up with the dealer. 6 qts is not normal, towing or not. I've been towing a bunch and used at most 1/2 qt. If they say it's normal, ask them to show you in the service manual where it says that. Call out their BS!
It's at the dealer now. They are aware of the oil consumption and I have info indicating high oil consumption will burnout the glow plugs. Seems like my exact problem and hopefully gets fixed. We'll see what they say.

5 yr 100k miles on the diesels. Mine is still within 3 yr 36k
That is jiving with our warranty.

@Marvin24 , you should still be able to bring it in on warranty. It's getting close so I wouldn't waste any time.

I have info indicating high oil consumption will burnout the glow plugs.
Do you have a link or a copy of that info? Seems like it shouldn't affect the plugs but if it does... certainly something to keep an eye on. Maybe oil just coats them and burns them out?

That is jiving with our warranty.

@Marvin24 , you should still be able to bring it in on warranty. It's getting close so I wouldn't waste any time.

Do you have a link or a copy of that info? Seems like it shouldn't affect the plugs but if it does... certainly something to keep an eye on. Maybe oil just coats them and burns them out?
It sounds like oil coats and burns out plugs. Plugs 2 and 3 seem to be the main victims. Just got the truck back and they ordered the cam cover. No eta on when it will be available. I will update once the work is complete. All of this would covered under the powertrain warranty if i was beyond the 3 yr /36 mo according the the warranty book that came with the truck.

Bought a pre-owned 2022 Silverado LTZ Z-71 with 3.0 Duramax with 26k miles. Drove it for two weeks then trans went out (2 1/2 months to get it and trailer light control module replaced under warranty).

The day we got it back, we left on a 3000 mile trip pulling 5700# travel trailer. Went through 1 qt of oil every 800 miles. After we got back, had dealer start a 2k mile oil consumption test.

Midway through the test, had the crankshaft position sensor go bad (a week and a half for warranty repair).

Had dealer complete oil test today. No oil was burned over the last 2000 miles, but we weren’t pulling the trailer at all. Had the dealer start another oil consumption test today since we will be towing our trailer about 1000 miles over the next two weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Bought a pre-owned 2022 Silverado LTZ Z-71 with 3.0 Duramax with 26k miles. Drove it for two weeks then trans went out (2 1/2 months to get it and trailer light control module replaced under warranty).

The day we got it back, we left on a 3000 mile trip pulling 5700# travel trailer. Went through 1 qt of oil every 800 miles. After we got back, had dealer start a 2k mile oil consumption test.

Midway through the test, had the crankshaft position sensor go bad (a week and a half for warranty repair).

Had dealer complete oil test today. No oil was burned over the last 2000 miles, but we weren’t pulling the trailer at all. Had the dealer start another oil consumption test today since we will be towing our trailer about 1000 miles over the next two weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

That's a run of bad luck for sure. Let us know what the dealer says... oil consumption has been an issues for some users reported here.

Maybe get them to look into your cam covers, it’s apparently an issue on some trucks and why some lose none and some lose lots of oil:

Update on oil consumption test.

Took off on week and a half trip pulling 5700 lb. travel trailer (Riverside, CA to Phoenix, AZ, Woods Canyon Lake near Forest Lakes, AZ, Prescott Valley, AZ, then back to Riverside). 50 miles into trip, along I-10 in Cabazon, CA, the RR trailer tire blew. Replaced with spare and moved on. 20 miles farther, ran into huge dust storm near Palm Springs, CA. Traffic slowed to 25 mph, hazard lights flashing, 200 ft visibility. LF trailer tire blew. No way was I going to stop on the side of the freeway under those conditions, so I limped it 2 miles down the freeway and got off at an exit and spent the night in Costco parking lot (got permission from manager so security was aware. Next morning got 4 new trailer tires at America’s Tire across the street from Costco. Rest of trip to Phoenix was uneventful.

On the way to Woods Canyon, while pulling a grade at 2100 rpm in manual 7th gear, doing about 55 mph in cruise control, the engine cut out for a half second (same symptom as the CS position sensor problem, but no check engine light ... yet). A couple miles further, same scenario, but this time the shutdown was complete, accompanied with check engine light and “Service Emissions System”, and “174 miles until 65 mph max” on the DIC. DEF level was 1 tick below full. Broke out my code reader and got the following codes:

P0216 Inject timing ctrl circ
P0087 Fuel rail low pressure P020A-F Cyl 1-6 inj timing
P0336 Crankshaft pos sensor performance
P034B CS pos sen direction incorrect
P0700 Trans ctrl module
P228A-B Fuel Pres reg 1-2 ctrl force eng shutdown
U0073 CAN bus communication
U0074 Ctrl mod comm bus B off
U0076 Ctrl mod comm bus D off
U0100 lost comm w/ ECM

Initially the truck wouldn’t re-start (cranked like crazy, but no dice). Manually turned engine off and let it sit 10 or 15 seconds so it could collect its thoughts, tried starting it again and “It’s alive!” Continuing on up to Woods Canyon, I experimented with different things and found that if I kept the rpm above 2500 while using a gear or two lower than normal, it seemed to pull ok without problems. We stopped in Payson, AZ for some groceries. While gently accelerating out of signals, it seemed like it was missing and had very little power until it got over 2000 rpm, then it took off.

Called the GMC dealer in Prescott and made an appointment for the day we were going to leave and go visit family in Prescott, AZ. So, here we are parked next to my son’s house mooching power, truck is at the dealer (hopefully we’ll hear something tomorrow), driving a SUV on GM’s nickel.

More to follow as new info becomes available.

Last edited:
Update on oil consumption test.

Took off on week and a half trip pulling 5700 lb. travel trailer (Riverside, CA to Phoenix, AZ, Woods Canyon Lake near Forest Lakes, AZ, Prescott Valley, AZ, then back to Riverside). 50 miles into trip, along I-10 in Cabazon, CA, the RR trailer tire blew. Replaced with spare and moved on. 20 miles farther, ran into huge dust storm near Palm Springs, CA. Traffic slowed to 25 mph, hazard lights flashing, 200 ft visibility. LF trailer tire blew. No way was I going to stop on the side of the freeway under those conditions, so I limped it 2 miles down the freeway and got off at an exit and spent the night in Costco parking lot (got permission from manager so security was aware. Next morning got 4 new trailer tires at America’s Tire across the street from Costco. Rest of trip to Phoenix was uneventful.

On the way to Woods Canyon, while pulling a grade at 2100 rpm in manual 7th gear, doing about 55 mph in cruise control, the engine cut out for a half second (same symptom as the CS position sensor problem, but no check engine light ... yet). A couple miles further, same scenario, but this time the shutdown was complete, accompanied with check engine light and “Service Emissions System”, and “174 miles until 65 mph max” on the DIC. DEF level was 1 tick below full. Broke out my code reader and got the following codes:

P0216 Inject timing ctrl circ
P0087 Fuel rail low pressure P020A-F Cyl 1-6 inj timing
P0336 Crankshaft pos sensor performance
P034B CS pos sen direction incorrect
P0700 Trans ctrl module
P228A-B Fuel Pres reg 1-2 ctrl force eng shutdown
U0073 CAN bus communication
U0074 Ctrl mod comm bus B off
U0076 Ctrl mod comm bus D off
U0100 lost comm w/ ECM

Initially the truck wouldn’t re-start (cranked like crazy, but no dice). Manually turned engine off and let it sit 10 or 15 seconds so it could collect its thoughts, tried starting it again and “It’s alive!” Continuing on up to Woods Canyon, I experimented with different things and found that if I kept the rpm above 2500 while using a gear or two lower than normal, it seemed to pull ok without problems. We stopped in Payson, AZ for some groceries. While gently accelerating out of signals, it seemed like it was missing and had very little power until it got over 2000 rpm, then it took off.

Called the GMC dealer in Prescott and made an appointment for the day we were going to leave and go visit family in Prescott, AZ. So, here we are parked next to my son’s house mooching power, truck is at the dealer (hopefully we’ll hear something tomorrow), driving a SUV on GM’s nickel.

More to follow as new info becomes available.
Don't want to be a debbie downer, but you have to have the worst luck after reading your posts!.

With such a used new truck, I wonder if you were sold a lemon law truck? I have no clue as to what happens to lemon law/buy back vehicles. Are they allowed to be resold or scrapped? Are titles branded or just treated as a normal used vehicle.

Back