Extended crank but no start issue

Have you experienced a ECNS

• Total voters
So far it seems to have changed how fast every start rpm is. Used to be if it fast cranked I got a no start. Now every start is a fast crank but it has started Everytime so far.

So there is an ECM flash for this now? I have had the issue 4 times now over 4 months of owning my 2021 GMC Sierra

I followed the posts about EC/NS issue, and hoped against hope that it would not happen to me. Also, I never posted in the threads for fear of jinxing myself. Well, yesterday, it happened. My 2021 Sierra 1500 LM2, with a warm engine, experienced the EC/NS. Crap! 724 miles on the vehicle, 3 weeks old. And just like all the others, it fired right up on the second try. I immediately drove to the dealer, which was only 3 blocks away, and had them document the issue. The service manager said they had only seen one other case, and they reflashed the guy's computer. I guess I will have them do the same when I take mine in for the free first oil change, although I really do not expect it to resolve the issue. Meanwhile, I keep following these EC/NS threads....
Have you had any additional no starts??

Has anyone had their 3.0 L Duramax Cam Shaft Accelerator replaced? My dealer has ordered the parts a month ago, still waiting.

Mines a 2020 and I have had it happen 3 or 4 times now with no codes. Dealer hasn’t heard anything about the problem

Thanks for reporting back. A friend of mine has a 2020 and has never had the issue.

Reactions: Tom
I have a 2021 Sierra Denali 1500 ultimate package 3.0L Duramax in Hunter green metallic. No codes when the issue happened. Still waiting on the dealer to get all the parts. Scary thought on how it will have to be replaced...

I have a 2021 Sierra Denali 1500 ultimate package 3.0L Duramax in Hunter green metallic. No codes when the issue happened. Still waiting on the dealer to get all the parts. Scary thought on how it will have to be replaced...
Have you seen the other thread on this subject about the PIP5823B?

I for sure would try the Oct. 4th re-flash, before they ripped my cab off.

Mine's at the stealership now with 1700km on the odo after CNS twice in a couple of days. Service rep I talked to seemed totally clueless as to this issue. I mentioned the latest ECM update that could fix this. Sure hope it's not the bent cam gear issue some have had. Will update once I get it back.

Mine's at the stealership now with 1700km on the odo after CNS twice in a couple of days. Service rep I talked to seemed totally clueless as to this issue. I mentioned the latest ECM update that could fix this. Sure hope it's not the bent cam gear issue some have had. Will update once I get it back.

Most service advisors are clueless sadly.. "Enthusiasts" like ourselves likely know more then them about specific bugs/gotchas as we live and breath these things.

So I've had it back a few days and the update seems to have fixed it. It does take about .5 seconds longer to start normally.

The tech called me and he was also clueless. Before calling, shouldn't they just check bulletins for anything related to symptoms described? I'm sure they don't like being schooled by the owners.

I hate auto-stop. I forgot to turn it off and it did a weird restart after a short stop that was not quite long enough to allow the engine to spin down and it restarted without the starter. It made a weird bang, like a loud diesel knock. Getting the auto-stop eliminator to turn that off permanently.

I hate auto-stop. I forgot to turn it off and it did a weird restart after a short stop that was not quite long enough to allow the engine to spin down and it restarted without the starter. It made a weird bang, like a loud diesel knock. Getting the auto-stop eliminator to turn that off pepermanently.
In the old days, a diesel could start spinning backwards from compression, if it quite didn't take off during a start. A diesel will run backwards. Not good but will run backwards.

Just got mine reflashed today. I noticed it cranks faster and a hair longer to start. Also seems louder turning over. No idea why just things I seem to notice. Hope it works, I told the dealer if it doesnt work I will wait before I let them do the shim job,to see what else they come up with.

PS. Who does the auto start/stop eliminator??

LOL on mine too!!! I no what it does but who does it?? Is it a computer delete? My dealer knows nothing about it.
It's a diy device, that plugs in between the switch and wiring harness. Not for the faint of heart, but worth it. Dealer won't do it, I'm betting.

There are a bunch of youtube videos that will step by step get you through it.

PS...15k miles, and no problems. Don't even know it's there, well until someone brings it up here.

Back