Not feeling good about the PF66 filter

Mooseman

Oct 19, 2021
I just had my first oil change done today and come home to see this video. Not impressed with the build quality of the filter.

Just one more free oil change and then I'm doing my own with a better filter. This is garbage.

Just one more free oil change and then I'm doing my own with a better filter. This is garbage.

Which one are you going with?

I did my 2nd oil change last week and used this one again..

The UPF66R Gold quality for sure can tell soon as you pick it up, twice the weight, but I never cut one open yet

I mentioned in that video's comments if he could do the UPF66R. Hope he does. He's pretty good. Saw a video of a Pf48 Professional and Gold and oddly enough, the gold has the same build as our PF66.

If I can't get at least get the UPF66R, I'd probably go with the Wix. They're usually pretty solid. I've also always liked the Fram Ultra Synthetic however they don't have one yet, just their orange garbage can ultra guard. That would likely void the warranty.

So far I have used Pf66, UPF66Gold, and the WIX WL10351 , from the outside you can feel the weight differences in the UPF and the WIX over the pf66 for sure and the quality of the rubber seal is thicker more robust, waiting for a bit more to send oil analyst with the Wix filter to compare from the one I sent with UPF66gold filter sample

So far I have used Pf66, UPF66Gold, and the WIX WL10351 , from the outside you can feel the weight differences in the UPF and the WIX over the pf66 for sure and the quality of the rubber seal is thicker more robust, waiting for a bit more to send oil analyst with the Wix filter to compare from the one I sent with UPF66gold filter sample

Good info, keep us updated! I might have to switch to Wix myself.. I've got 1 AcDelco left in the cabinet.

Kind of expensive but I like the longer canister. I’m going with the wix until I get my bypass system.

Attachments

• IMG_4455.jpeg
    IMG_4455.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2
What bypass system are you looking at using?
It will be an Amsoil system. They don’t make a specific system for the 3.0 but they have a universal system. I figured out the parts I need and once I get it installed I’ll post the part numbers if anyone is interested.

Here’s a picture of the full flow and the bypass filter next to the wix filter for our 3.0L. The bypass filter will take the soot out of your oil. I’m waiting to do my first oil change to verify the filter adapter fits without issue before I report the remaining part numbers. I’m only at 995 miles so possibly at 2000 so I can switch to the Amsoil Dexos D.

Attachments

• IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 16
Here’s a picture of the full flow and the bypass filter next to the wix filter for our 3.0L. The bypass filter will take the soot out of your oil. I’m waiting to do my first oil change to verify the filter adapter fits without issue before I report the remaining part numbers. I’m only at 995 miles so possibly at 2000 so I can switch to the Amsoil Dexos D.
So I went ahead and changed the oil today. I verified that the block mounted adapter fits without issue. Finding a good spot to mount the bypass unit and filters is another story. I’m thinking about mounting it to the outside of the driver’s side frame rail. Looks like there is good clearance for running the hoses. Thinking it would be a good idea to fabricate a shield around it.
I’m not sure if the pickups have the same space as the SUV’s.
More news later!

The EAO26 filter in your pic, are you using that the replace the small stock GM PF66 filter?

Keep us posted. I was hoping that Frantz (now owned by hot shot secrets) would have released a bypass kit similar to to the 6.6 for the 3.0 by now… but those guys are F’n useless. Emailed them like 4 times about it and nothing but crickets!

Definitely will do. I personally can’t live with the soot in the oil. At 800 miles my oil was solid black.

I’m curious to know if the bypass actually keeps it any cleaner “looking”.… because I read this review (second review is a 2016 Dodge Ecodiesel) complaining it didn’t do anything:

At 2 micron the bypass filter should clean it. I’ve only used it on gas engines in the past so I’ll be the test mule.

That’s why I’m interested in your results. The Frantz cellulose filter is also supposed to be good down to 2 microns so it should have filtered out the black soot. The jet black oil drives me a little nuts too, especially right after an oil change but I’ve come to accept it at this point in time…

Yeah, the black oil on a fresh oil change, is disheartening. But coming from farming equipment, it becomes normal. So normal, that when a person pulls the stick on a gas burner, the oil is still translucent so it must not need changed!

Back